We made some barn doors!
Skip to after
Ugly accordian doors:
And this is one of the annoying issues. The closet was taken in a bit in order to expand the bathroom next to it, but this will was never brought up to flush so there’s part of the closet that’s just wall.
Extending the wall:
And then so much puttying:
Phew. That’s mostly done. Now, onto the doors!
All the pieces!
Prepping for paint
Painting some of the hardware
First coat! Looking like a hallway again 🙂
Slight bow in the doors (Crappy plywood) hoping that letting the glue dry like this will help. (Spoiler alert, it did!)
Second coat of paint on the doors, this hid a lot of the wood grain, but lesson learned. Next time we’ll go with a very colored stain instead or just do one really good coat of paint to keep the wood texture.
Getting ready for assembling the hardware!
Needs a little fine tuning, holes are big enough for it.
Finding the studs and then drilling lots of small holes to make certain I find dead center, these 1/2″ lag screws HAVE to be centered.
Painting the backer bar
Robin’s reaction when she notices “dat gap”…..
Everyone makes mistakes….I didn’t even consider this when designing it all.
So the next day I started on a solution to surprise her. A friend gave me the advice “Express the hardware, don’t hide it”
Now for the after
Total cost came in around $400, but that’s including a lot of the wall stuff too, and some mistakes. Thanks April Wilkerson for the idea/proof of concept/plans/everything! Here’s her post about it: Wilkderdos.com